God's Glory

God's Glory

Monday, March 11

Life in a Residence Hall - Some Days You Can Only Laugh

I really need to start keeping a journal in my office to keep track of all the "normal" yet crazy day to day things that go on when your home is a residence hall filled with 145 college kids.  

I figured I'd share a few of the laughable moments from the semester thus far: 
  • One of my Korean residents had only been in the states 3 days when her toilet overflowed  (we have bad toilets, this happens all the time) flooding 2 resident rooms and the bathroom plus three rooms downstairs.  The poor girl was still jet lagged and her english was still pretty iffy.  After the mess was fully cleaned up she burst into tears  and was nearly inconsolable.  After a while, she was able to answer my questions of what was wrong and said she was afraid that all the other residents would only know her as the girl who flooded the building! 

  • A resident tracked thick mud through all of first and second floor of our building so I walked upstairs to ask him to remove his muddy boots from the hallway and to mop up the mess.  When I told him I'd even get him a mop and a "wet floor" sign he said he had his own mop and whipped out one of those sponge ones and a little 1 1/2 gallon bucket.  I told him I'd still grab the wet floor sign and I'd be right back.  Upon returning with the wet floor sign I found him happily mopping the floor with one hand and carrying his water bucket with the other ---- while stripped to his boxer briefs.   I just said thank you for mopping :)

  • On a Sunday evening, after returning from a weekend off, a student came running into my office, all excited.  "Did you hear what happened to ________?" "No?" Well, apparently someone (at that point unknown) had posted another resident in the Men for Men personal ads section of Craigslist.com complete with phone number and real photos.  The poor guy's phone had been blowing up all day on Saturday with text messages.  Apparently the kid had just gotten a new phone and didn't have anyone's number so when he got the first text of "Hey we should get together sometime" he responded with "Sweet deal" and then received "I'm a little older than you're looking for, 35 but if your good I'm in" to which he thought it was still just a friend of his being stupid and replied, "Age is just a number" after that it went downhill quick and is not blog worthy, but man, while I felt bad for him he's a good sport and is laughing about it now. 

  • One of my residents (who happens to have a bright red beard and thick BRIGHT red hair) decided for the second time this year to shave the top of his head so he looks like a cross between a monk and a really bad impersonation of Red Forman from "That 70's Show."  Last time it was because he lost a bet.....this week?  He just felt like a hair cut.   Another student asked him if he was doing a "breaking the social norms" project (which is USUALLY why students are doing above and beyond weird things (like a 300lb guy wearing a strapless gown through the Bangor Mall.....he was also covered in tattoos and had a mohawk)), but nah, this is just his "norm." 
Beyond that it's just the normal occurrences of guys wanting to make team t-shirts but not knowing how to read directions or run an iron and they only have 45 minutes until their game starts; packing tape across doorways; lube in the shower; burnt popcorn fire alarms; community service kids playing with the backpack vac; lobby twister parties; and lots and LOTs of easy mac.......  If you're thinking of purchasing stock, Kraft and the company that own Maruchan noodles is the way to go....LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment