I swear I am one of the most spiritually dense people ever. I am such a slow learner. I am so thankful for God's patience with me, that he would repeat lessons with me continually to bring me closer to himself. Yet, I am so far from the destination. Sigh. One step at a time....in all directions.
My Utmost for His Highest
September 24
Oswald Chambers
The "Go" of Preparation
"If you bring your gift to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift." Matthew 5:23-24
It is easy for us to imagine that we will suddenly come to a point in our lives where we are fully prepared, but preparation is not suddenly accomplished. In fact, it is a process that must be steadily maintained. It is dangerous to become settled and life requires preparation and more preparation.
The sense of sacrifice in the Christian life is readily appealing to a new Christian. From a human standpoint, the one thing that attracts us to Jesus Christ is our sense of the heroic, and a close examination of us by our Lord's words suddenly puts this tide of enthusiasm to the test. "...go your way. First be reconciled to your brother...." The "go" of preparation is to allow the Word of God to examine you closely.. Your sense of heroic sacrifice is not good enough. The thing the Holy Spirit will detect in you is your nature that can never work in His service. And no one but God can detect that nature in you. Do you have anything to hid from God? If you do, then let God search you with His light. If there is sin in your life, don't just admit it--confess it. Are you willing to obey your Lord and Master, whatever the humiliation to your right to yourself may be?
AND NOW FOR THE PART THAT HIT ME BETWEEN THE EYES........
Never disregard a conviction that the Holy Spirit brings to you. If it is important enough for the Spirit of God to bring it to your mind, it is the very thing He is detecting n you. You were looking for some big thing to give up, while God is telling you of some of tiny thing that must go. But behind that tiny thing lies the stronghold of obstinacy, and you say, "I will not give up my right to myself" --the very thing that God intends you to give up if you are to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
So, um, yeah. I'm dense. I'm obstinate. I am a vault of secrets and insecurities, carefully guarded with top notch security controlled by literally God only knows what. Why the heck would he ever want me? ....I'm about as vulnerable and soft as a stinking rock. Sigh. I don't think I'll ever know. I'm glad he does, and I'm trying allow him in to open the vault. .....And honestly, I'm petrified of what is inside.
My Utmost for His Highest
September 24
Oswald Chambers
The "Go" of Preparation
"If you bring your gift to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift." Matthew 5:23-24
It is easy for us to imagine that we will suddenly come to a point in our lives where we are fully prepared, but preparation is not suddenly accomplished. In fact, it is a process that must be steadily maintained. It is dangerous to become settled and life requires preparation and more preparation.
The sense of sacrifice in the Christian life is readily appealing to a new Christian. From a human standpoint, the one thing that attracts us to Jesus Christ is our sense of the heroic, and a close examination of us by our Lord's words suddenly puts this tide of enthusiasm to the test. "...go your way. First be reconciled to your brother...." The "go" of preparation is to allow the Word of God to examine you closely.. Your sense of heroic sacrifice is not good enough. The thing the Holy Spirit will detect in you is your nature that can never work in His service. And no one but God can detect that nature in you. Do you have anything to hid from God? If you do, then let God search you with His light. If there is sin in your life, don't just admit it--confess it. Are you willing to obey your Lord and Master, whatever the humiliation to your right to yourself may be?
AND NOW FOR THE PART THAT HIT ME BETWEEN THE EYES........
Never disregard a conviction that the Holy Spirit brings to you. If it is important enough for the Spirit of God to bring it to your mind, it is the very thing He is detecting n you. You were looking for some big thing to give up, while God is telling you of some of tiny thing that must go. But behind that tiny thing lies the stronghold of obstinacy, and you say, "I will not give up my right to myself" --the very thing that God intends you to give up if you are to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment